Mufon Threatens Legal Action Against The Anomaly Response Network

Mufon Threatens Legal Action Against The Anomaly Response Network
Today (March 25, 2007) an email came in from James P. Carrion, International Director for MUFON threatening legal action for defamation and libel in my article, "Where MUFON and Wikipedia Intersect", in which I constructively criticized the organization and offered suggestions for improvement.At his request, I removed copies of my article from The Searchlight and our Google Group - so this is where it went if you are trying to locate it.Before removing the article, I received a comment from one MUFON State Section Director:"That is a fantastic, excellent article you wrote. I would like to post a comment on what you wrote. It would be about Mufon and how I think we were censored in our Gaffney report. They took the OLD [pre-conclusion] report and inserted a few lines from final report, added pictures, and a few other things."This simply reinforces the attitude of the MUFON membership that I conveyed through my article. Basically they're fed up with the status-quo, the sale of a Journal over the pursuit of a science, and would like to see things change. If something turns out to be questionable, instead of "leaving out" the aspects of a report that make it questionable, MUFON, just like any other respectable UFO organization, should point out those aspects and either thoroughly investigate them or let them be known. Any scientific report must include an "Error Analysis" as we learned in high school science class. For those of us in Ufology, including a list of "unknowns" is our error analysis (at least a start, anyways).The rest of my article was about the typical MUFON member's frustration with the lack of expenditure reports on the MUFON website. Most (if not all) MUFON members I've spoke to would like to be able to visualize where their 50/year dues are going aside from the Journal costs. They'd also like to be able to have input on the direction of their organization, but as you can see from my experience, input does not appear to be welcome.

Posted by Unknown | at 7:19 PM