Hynekosity

Hynekosity
I am happy. In today's mail I got two new/old books written by UFO researcher J. Allen Hynek: "The UFO Experience" (1972), and "The Edge of Reality" (1975), co-written by the equally-awesome and apparently French Dr. Jacques Vallee.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek (left) and Dr. Jacques Vallee, putting the "fly" in Unidentified Flying Objects.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have been talking with the late Dr. Hynek's son and a representative of his research organization, CUFOS, about writing the definitive book about Hynek's career as a UFO researcher. As the foundation of my research, I'm reading or re-reading every book that Dr. Hynek ever wrote.

I recently finished "Night Siege: The Hudson Valley UFO Sightings," and I'm very happy to say that by the time I was finished with the book I had the chills.Which is funny, because even when the authors describe some truly eerie alien encounters and "missing time" episodes they always do so with a sober, almost dismissive detachment. It's almost as if Hynek and his co-authors just did not want the more sensational encounters to overshadow the bigger story of the Hudson Valley UFO flap. Despite my love for crazy-ass alien encounter stories, I respected the authors' reserve, and for some strange reason their detachment made the alien encounter stories that much more chilling...

But on to the books that arrived today. I haven't had much of a chance to look at them yet, but a quick glance at the introduction of "The Edge of Reality" confirms why, in my opinion, J. Allen Hynek (and J. Vallee) really got it when it came to UFOs.

"The UFO represents an unknown but real phenomenon, the authors state. "Its implications are far-reaching and take us to the very edge of what we consider the known and the real in our physical environment. Perhaps it signals the existence of a domain of nature as yet totally unexplored."

Perhaps UFOs signal "the existence of a domain of nature as yet totally unexplored..." How cool is that? How "smart "is that? I think that if UFOs could choose one human to study them, J. Allen would be their unanimous choice.

Posted by Unknown | at 1:15 PM